Colgate-Palmolive is global consumer goods company typically FMCG, It was established in 1806 and headquartered in New York City, USA. The founder of Colgate-Palmolive was William Colgate and the number of employees serving in Colgate-Palmolive is 34,500 according to the survey in 2018. It operates in over 200 countries.
In 1806, William Colgate first made a starch, soap, and candle factory in New York City with the name William Colgate & Company. In 1833, he got a heart attack and eventually his sales decreased and then stopped at one point of time. He then, after his recovery started the business again. In the 1840s, he started selling cakes of soap with equal weights.
In 1857, he died and then the company was in control of his son Samuel Colgate, who was not into it but thought about his fathers journey. In 1872, Samuel introduced Cashmere Bouquet, a perfumed soap. In 1873, the company manufactured its very first Colgate Toothpaste, it had fragrance in it and was sold in glass jars. In 1896, the company then started selling in tubes. Also in 1896, Colgate hired Martin Ittner and established one of the first applied research lab with him. By 1908, they started mass production and sales of toothpaste in tubes. William Colgates other son; James Boorman Colgate was a trustee of Colgate University (previously known as Madison University).
In Milwaukee, the B.J. Johnson Company was selling soaps made from palm oil & olive oil, It was developed by B.J. Johnson in 1898, the soap was so famous that they rename their company as Palmolive. It was the worlds best-selling soap in early 20th century. Another soap manufacturer called Peet Brothers they were also from Milwaukee, merged with Palmolive and became Palmolive-Peet. In 1928, Palmolive-Peet acquired the Colgate Company and became Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company. In 1953, Peet was removed from the name, letting only Colgate-Palmolive, the current name of the company.
Colgate-Palmolive Pakistan was incorporated on December 5, 1997. It was initially named as National Detergents Limited. In 1990, the name was converted into Colgate-Palmolive when Colgate-Palmolive USA got 30% share in company. Currently it is one of the leading manufacturers of consumer goods in Pakistan.
It started with the launch of Brite in 1981 and Express Powder in 1983. After the licensing agreement with Colgate-Palmolive USA, products such as Max Dish wash & Palmolive Soap were introduced in 1985. Toothpaste was introduced in 1988 and subsequently Colgate Toothpaste was manufactured for the Pakistani Market.
The company then introduced Bonus detergent in 1992 targeting the middle-class market. The detergent then became one of the most-selling detergents in Pakistan. Colgate-Palmolive Pakistan is associated with Lakson Group which is one of the biggest groups in Pakistan with various industries.
1. Oral Care (Toothpastes and Toothbrushes)
2. Fabric Care (Laundry detergents, laundry bar, fabric conditioner)
3. Surface Care (Dish wash bar, dish wash liquid, dish wash paste, dish wash powder, and All-purpose cleaner)
4. Personal Care (Beauty Soaps, Hand wash, Shampoo, Conditioner)
Colgate-Palmolive mainly competes with two giant global companies Unilever & Proctor and Gamble, but there are other competitors as well and it varies from product to product e.g. Colgate vs. Sensodyne Toothpaste.
In a more general sense, Colgate-Palmolive competes with every consumer goods company for a stake in consumers budget.
As we plan our strategies to sustain growth for the years to come, our core values of Caring, Global Teamwork and Continuous Improvement will continue to drive our future initiatives.(4)
Serial No. Components Yes / No
1 Define your customers No
2 Define your customers needs No
3 Define your product or service No
4 Define your companys values Yes
Reconstructed Vision Statement:
Colgate-Palmolive aims to be the worlds first choice in consumer goods company (2, 3) while ensuring our core values of Caring, Global Teamwork, and Continuous Improvement that will lead us to satisfy our Stakeholders. (4)
1. Customers are general public as its a consumer goods company, thats why it is not necessary to mention.
2. It’s a FMCG company that focuses on consumers household items need.
3. Products are clearly mentioned i.e. consumer goods.
4. The three core values of Colgate-Palmolive are mentioned which clearly define companys values.
As a company that strives to be the best truly global consumer products company, (1, 2) we are committed to doing business with integrity and respect for all people and for the world around us. (5)
Serial No. Components Yes / No
1 Products or Services Yes
2 Market Yes
3 Technology No
4 Concern for Growth, Profits, Survival No
5 Philosophy Yes
6 Self-Concept No
7 Public Image No
8 Concern for Employees No
9 Concern for Customers No
Reconstructed Mission Statement:
As a company that strives to be the best global consumer goods company using the latest technology, (1, 2, 3) we are committed to doing business with integrity and respect for our employees, customers, and trading partners (5, 8, 9) and are responsive towards our environment, (7) we seek to contribute innovation in our products (6) in order to grow continuously and provide benefits to our shareholders. (4)
The very first sentence covered major products, market (global), and technology.
Integrity and respect shows concern for employees, customers as well as companys philosophy of being honest.
Innovation in products is their competitive advantage as we can see that they keep on launching new toothpastes.
Lastly, they are also concerned about the benefits of their shareholders and investors.
External Factor Evaluation (EFE) Matrix:
S. No. OPPORTUNITIES WEIGHTAGE RATE WEIGHTED SCORE
1 Increase in Population 0.20 3 0.6
2 Change in Shopping Trends 0.1 4 0.4
3 Untapped Rural Market 0.13 3 0.39
4 Digital Marketing 0.15 4 0.6
5 Wider Product Range 0.05 1 0.05
1 Increased Dollar Rate 0.11 3 0.33
2 Increased Competition 0.09 3 0.27
3 High Import Duty 0.04 3 0.12
4 Increased Rate of Unemployment 0.06 1 0.06
5 Challenging Economic Condition 0.07 2 0.14
The weighted score of Colgate-Palmolive is 2.96 which is approximately 3 and thats above average (i.e. 2.5) which means the companys response towards these opportunities and threats is above than the average response in the Industry.
Most Important Factors:
1. INCREASE IN POPULATION: As we know that household consumption drives the maturity of sales in the FMCG industry. Growth in this industry has increased in recent years as the population has increased over time. It is the most important factor in industry with 20% and Colgate Palmolive response is above average that is 3 therefore there is a possibility for Colgate Palmolive to further increase their sales due to large number of population.
2. DIGITAL MARKETING: As we all know that marketing is a very important aspect in FMCG as theres so much competition and digital marketing is still and emerging concept in Pakistan. It has the second highest importance in the industry with 15% and Colgate Palmolive is doing great in digital marketing. In our previous semester we visit Colgate Palmolive head office and took interview of their marketing manager so he shared a little about their digital marketing expect that they are working on Different techniques like SEO ( Search Engine Optimization), SEM ( search engine marketing) and E-Commerce etc. So according to the company they are superior in this factor.
LEAST IMPORTANT FACTORS:
1. HIGH IMPORT DUTY: Recently Imran Khan has put restrictions on import by increasing custom duty and Colgate Palmolive import their raw material from Vietnam so they have to pay more. This is the least important according to industry with 4% weightage, and Colgate Palmolive response is above average as their marketing manager Mr. Muneeb Muzaffar mentioned that they are looking for operations facility in Lahore so that they can get the raw material from there.
2. WIDER PRODUCT RANGE: Consumer preference is changing overtime and it is very important for a company to offer a wide range of product, it has 5% importance as compared to other factors in the industry, Colgate Palmolive response is poor because it offers only 4 categories ( personal care , oral care , fabric care and Surface Care) the product range is very small all as compared to other giant competitors like Unilever and P&G thats why Colgate Palmolive should introduce new products like packaged food or snacks, for which they have to create an image first because whenever we heard of Colgate, we always think of toothpaste and same goes with Palmolive, it only reminds us of soap. So, therefore Colgate Palmolive must launch a new product or a new brand.
JUSTIFICATION OF REMAINING FACTORS:
Overall the company is doing great except of two to three factors where the performance is poor and below average like wider product range, unemployment and challenging economic conditions. Factors like economic condition and unemployment are beyond companys control thats why they are external factors but company can follow the strategic management in order to survive in challenging condition which is the current state of Pakistan as we are loaded with debts, inflation is increasing, and so on…
Then comes factors like increase in population, untapped rural market, increased dollar rate, high custom duty, and increase competition where company is doing above average, the company can further enhance and achieve superiority in these factors by contributing innovation in their product to survive in High competition, to capture the untapped rural market , they are doing great but still there is a large area in Pakistans rural market that is still untouched and is a great opportunity for FMCG companies.
And lastly, the factors in which the company is superior such as change in shopping trends and digital marketing, they should maintain it and keep doing it, its a continuous effort, as we all know that shopping trend has changed over time. Earlier, only the head of the family goes to shop and there were not many supermarkets but now the trend has shifted to Window shopping and the whole family goes for shopping it has become an enjoyment. Even the kid in our family has a role in decision making, he or she demands what they want so it is a great opportunity for Colgate Palmolive to keep their product available at all stores, and keep focusing on product visibility, rental shelf, etc.