As we had our final solution of banana oil, we used the I. R. Spectra to conclude our results. The I. R. Spectra showed us that the compound we produced had no peak at comic-1. The banana oil peaked at roughly comic-1. We concluded from these results that all the alcohol was extracted and the final product was banana oil. Purpose The purpose of our lab was to reflux an isopleths alcohol with carboxylic acid (acetic acid), adding three drops of sulfuric acid acting as a catalyst to produce an ester (isopleths acetate) and water. We verified our answers using infrared spectroscopy.
Calculations for Percent Yield To find the percent yield we had to first find moles of our limiting reagent. 1) Weight of ml vial + cap =28. Egg 2) Weight of ml vial + cap +1. Ml of isopleths alcohol= 28. Egg 3) Weight of ml vial + cap + 1. Ml of isopleths alcohol + 1. Ml acetic acid= 30. Egg First we calculated the difference of the 1 and 2 (2-1= difference)= 0. Egg. Then, we found the difference of 1 and 3, =1. Egg. Using the molecular weight of the molecules of isopleths alcohol and acetic acid we found the moles of each molecule. For isopleths alcohol we calculated, (0. Egg/1) / (88. G/mom=). 0083 moles of isopleths alcohol. The moles for acetic acid were calculated at 0. 0255 mol= (1. Egg/1) / (60. G/mol). Once we found that isopleths alcohol was the limiting reagent, we found how many grams of banana oil were possible to produce. This number came out to be, (O,moll) x 1. 08066g= theoretical yield. Our final product (actual yield) we produce 0. 41 egg of banana oil. We then took this number to find our percent yield, x 100= 38. 2% Purification Process For the purification process we needed to rid the solution of any excess Heimlich besides the banana oil.
To do this, we needed to understand a little about what makes a solution. Two factors that affect the ability of a solution to form are: 1) the natural tendency of substances to mix and spread into larger volumes when not restrained in some way 2) the types of intermolecular forces in the solution. In the case of the alcohol and the carbonyl acid, the two molecules reacted to form isopleths acetate and water. All of the isopleths alcohol was reacted with acetic acid and due to the solubility between the two molecules we were able to extract the water and acetic acid.
This was done using a pipette to remove the bottom layer of the solution and it was possible because the alcohol was not soluble in the water. The second extraction required the use of one ml of sodium carbonate to wash the mixture by slowly shaking it until the bubbling stopped. We then removed the cap to allow the release of carbon dioxide out of the mixture, this was done two times. Finally, we began drying the mixture with sodium sulfate. Results from Infrared Spectroscopy After completing the washing a drying of our mixture, we then took our final product to be tested using infrared spectroscopy. Only items needed for this was the I.
R. Spectra, a pipette, and a computer. We placed a drop on the eye of the spectrograph and waiting for our results. We noticed from our finding that at comic-1 our mixture had no peak. This meant that we successfully removed all the excess alcohol from our mixture. Furthermore, we notice a distinct peak at 1750 CM-l . This confirmed that we in fact had banana oil as our final product. Conclusion In this experiment we ended up with a percent yield of 38. 2%. The reasons for a lower percent yield could be attributed to factor not all isopleths alcohol reacting ND extracting some of the product out with the excess water.
The isopleths alcohol is a hydrophobic molecule with a hydrophilic head end. This allows the molecule to react with the carboxylic acid which is a hydrophilic molecule. We know this by the bonds associated with both molecules. The alcohol is a non polar By using the IR. Spectra, we first noticed that there was no peak at comic-1. This is significant because if there was any excess alcohol within the mixture we would see a peak. At 1739. CACM-1, we see a noticeable peak showing us that for our final product we did in fact have banana oil.